David C Musker
Chartered Patent Attorney
European Patent Attorney
Higher Courts Litigator
UK Registered Trade Mark Attorney
European Trade Mark & Design Attorney
Member of ITMA (MITMA)
Awards and Prizes
Imperial College Sir Arthur Acland Prize for Humanities
UK lnformals trainee patent drafting competition
- Gill Prize for highest overall UK patent attorney examination marks
UNION writing prize
- Worldleaders European IP Award
- Alicante News: The James Nurton interview with David Musker
- CIPA June 2009 - Interview with David Musker
The Legal 500 survey of patent agents in 2004 cited David as attracting 'great professional respect for his competence, shrewdness, client skills and commercial brain', and Chambers describes him as “one of the leading experts on designs”. He has also featured several times in Euromoney’s annual Guide To The Worlds Leading Experts in Patent Law and Trademark Law.
He graduated in Materials Science with Honours from Imperial College, London University, and gained an LLM Masters Degree in IP Litigation with Distinction from Nottingham University. He worked in-house in government and the telecommunications industry before joining Jenkins. He specialises in communications, signal processing, computing and business-oriented subject matter, and designs. He has extensive experience of practice and advocacy before the UK and European Patent Offices.
David is author of two books on design law, and a number of articles and conference papers, including:
- Additional Subject-Matter and Claim Broadening,  EIPR, 594
- Procedural law of the OHIM, Trademark World December/January 1995/1996, 29
- Reverse Engineering, given at IBC Conference on Intellectual Property in Electronics, 10 June 1998, referred to in the Gowers Report
- The Design Directive (CIPA, 2001, ISBN 0 903932 12 1)
- Community Design Law - Principles & Practice (Sweet & Maxwell, 2002, ISBN 0421790601)
- The Great Free Beer Debate, or What Ales the Patent System? Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice Advance Access published on November 21, 2007. doi:10.1093/jiplp/jpm186
- "Agreement in Principle? - The Harmonisation of Principles of Procedural Law of European Industrial Property" prizewinning article, UNION 40th Year Commemorative Yearbook 2001
David lectures at Oxford University, and has done so in the past at Queen Mary & Westfield College, London University; and Bristol University, ETH, Zurich; and CEIPI, Strasbourg. He is Chairman of CIPA’s Designs and Copyright Committee, and President of UNION’s Design Commission, and a member of AIPPI and FICPI. He is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice (JIPLP) and is Editor of the CIPA/ITMA Community Designs Handbook.
When he has time apart from work and family, he enjoys fencing and occasionally plays keyboards.