Hugh C Dunlop
- Chartered Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- UK Registered Trade Mark Attorney
- European Trade Mark & Design Attorney
Hugh is a graduate of Engineering from Cambridge. He has over 20 years of experience in the patent profession, including 13 years with Motorola, the US mobile radio and semiconductor manufacturer. His time at Motorola included four years at the company's headquarters in Illinois after which he return to Europe to work on licensing and on European opposition proceedings.
While in the United States he passed the US Patent and Trademarks Office examination to be recognized to practice before that office. He attended the John Marshall Law School in Chicago where he was awarded a Fred Herzog scholarship and an LLM in Intellectual Property Law.
He has extensive licensing experience, especially in the field of standards of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute and other standardization bodies. Hugh's experience in intellectual property extends across a wide range of contentious and non-contentious offensive and defensive matters.
He was Honorary Secretary to the CIPA Informals in 1984-85 and has for many years been a contributor to the European Patents Handbook.
Hugh joined Jenkins as a partner in 2002.
Hugh is author of:
- No switching between inventions - Not a mere Guideline, but a new Rule? CIPA September 2012;
- New EPO Guideline and the criteria for refusing discretion for entering of amendments. CIPA July 2012;
- Need to Revise Guideline on Rule 45(3) - Claims being Deemed Abandoned, EPI Information 4/2011, 140;
- A Practical Guide to the Patent Prosecution Highway, Managing Intellectual Property, April 2009 (Contributing Author);
- Home Truths about the EPO, Managing Intellectual Property, October 2008;
- English High Court to Hear Via's Eurodefences to Infringement of Intel's Pentium 4 Patents, 2003 Word Licensing Law Report, Vol 5, No 2, 16;
- Harmonizing the Doctrine of Equivalents, 2003 Managing Intellectual Property, Issue 126, 42;
- New Hope for Via and for Eurodefences, 2003 Patents and Licensing, Vol 33, No 1, 34;
- A Dusty Road to Standards Licensing, 2003 Managing Intellectual Property, Issue 130, 59;
- Court of Appeal gets to Grips with the Protocol, 2003 EIPR, 342;
and other papers.
"Hugh Dunlop has invaluable insight into the commercial objectives of clients" - IAM Patent 1000 - 2012
"Hugh Dunlop is among the firm's proactive attorneys who think outside the box" - The Legal 500 - 2008